Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuesdays Thrifting: Lesson I

The lesson I'm going to share today has been a hard one for me to absorb. Just because the item is $4.99 and you vow that if you have it "taken in" or "taken out" know that there is a 99% chance this item will end up costing you quadruple what you paid. I've spent absurd amounts of money to have hems taken up, sleeves ripped off and arm holes reduced. Sometimes it pays off, other times it costs me a week's worth of lunch money. Moral of the story, think HARD about your purchase.  Yeah, that silk screen print moo moo is crazy cool, but are you willing to throw down a Benji for a piece you might wear once or twice? Just sayin.
Here is a case in point. Dress $7.99 from Saint Matthews Thrift on Santa Monica Main Street, cost of alterations $55.00.  Now if you're a handy Marthette and have a talent for sewing or you're one of those "I just taught myself to sew" braggarts, then good for you, consider yourself exempt from this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment